Snake plants are popular all over the world, and for good reason, they are AWESOME!! With different varieties and variants in color and size, the Snake plant is just a great plant to have in your home or office. They don't need much care and seem to thrive the most when you neglect them. The most common snake plants are Laurentii and Sanseveria. The are great air purifers and will turn anyones thumb green.
Follow these few simple steps to become a snake plant expert.
- Soil: For soil, we use easy draining soil. The snake plant does not like moist soil, so it is important their soil drains fast. Also it is important to make sure they are in a pot with drainage holes. If this is not possible, then put a couple inches of gravel at the bottom of the pot, so act as a drainage area for water to flow to.
- Light: Snake plants are great because they can grow in any light environment, except for direct sunlight. The more indirect light they get the faster they will grow, but if you only have low indirect light, no worries. Snake plants willl happily grow at your homet too!
- Watering: The only way we kno whow to kill a snake plant is by over watering it. We water our plant once every 2-3 weeks depending on the maount of sun it is getting. If the plant is geting mroe sun then closer to 2 weeks, and in low light maybe even a little longer than 3 weeks. W hen you are watering it, try to water the middle of the soil, and do not get the leaves wet. For a plant like the Snake plant we reccomend having a watering can with a long spout. You can find our favorite long spout watering can here
- Temperature: If you are getting the vibe, snake plants can live in a vairety of temps. We have foound the sweet spot is between 60-80F. In this range the snake plants seem to grow the quickest and healthiest. If the leaves start turning yellow try putting them in a warmer room.
- Fertilizing: During the summer you can use fertilizer if you want your snake plant to really thrive. We reccomend using all-purpose plant food. In the winter don't use fertilizer as the plants will not benefit from the added nutrients.